Wednesday 9 March 2011

Thing 22

A quick search for Web 2.0 on SlideShare came up with many hits - the majority of those on the first page were actually about web 3.0. I am actually very interested in web 3 - the semantic web, and soon got immersed in looking at these presentations. It is very odd to view a presentation that was, presumably, designed to be delivered with audio. A good presentation won't have many words per slide, and will simply act as a cue for the speaker, and provide helpful pointers for the listeners. There is therefore limited use in simply looking at a set of slides.Despite this, I feel I have learnt a little more about the semantic web from my browsing.

Back on topic, and there seem to be a mass of presentations about Twitter. 'How Twitter Changed My Life' was quite interesting towards the end, emphasising how personal versions of events can be spread around the world in real time, and also the impact an individual's tweet can have.

Really, as someone who hates giving presentations with a passion, just the sight of this site sends shivers down my spine. Other than finding some of the presentations interesting to look at, I don't think I would find the content particularly useful. Even if I were to be in the unfortunate position of having to give a presentation, I feel as though I would prefer to fit my slides around what I wanted to say, rather than finding someone else's slides and fitting my talk around that. I guess it may be useful for getting ideas, or useful images or quotes. Who knows whether I would use it or not. It's nice to know of its existence, but that is as far as I will go at this stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment