Wednesday 9 March 2011

Thing 20

As a shy, retiring sort I was not particularly keen on advertising my blog on the Library blogs wiki, although I did find some useful blogs for my Chartership application on the site! So, that leaves me with editing a Wikipedia page, something I have never done before. I'm trying to think of a subject that I know about, but which no one else will be interested in, so if I write something stupid no one will ever know...

Well, I've fallen back to my old employer, The Queen's College Library in Oxford again. The paragraph about the library was quite short, and I added a sentence about the history that I knew to be accurate: "The open cloister below the Upper Library was enclosed in the 19th century to form the Lower Library, which now houses the bulk of the lending collection."

I think wikis are a great idea and can be really useful. In fact, I considered using one to record my Chartership process. I had started a blog, but felt very frustrated and constrained by the linear, chronological nature of the blog. As I was retrospectively recording things, and also wanted to structure my entries in themes rather than by time, a blog really wasn't the right tool to use. So instead, I thought about starting my own wiki. I discovered www.tiddlyspaces.com, which while not a wiki as such, is absolutely brilliant for my purposes. I can add entries, or 'tiddlers', and link them together how I please. It works a lot like a wiki in many respects, and I couldn't be without it now.

So, that's Thing 20 done, and I can now say I've contributed to Wikipedia!

No comments:

Post a Comment