Monday 14 February 2011

Thing 14

Well I'm more impressed with Diigo than I expected to be. I've heard of Delicious but never used it before, and was a bit suspicious about its usefulness. I didn't really understand how it was different from a browser's bookmarking facilities. Registering for Diigo and installing the toolbar was remarkably easy. And from my initial investigations it seems very easy to use. I can see that if you do a lot of work on the Internet it may be a very useful place to collect a large amount of websites. I sometimes find it annoying that all my favourites don't fit onto my bookmarks bar, and I spend time shortening their names to make everything fit. I do like having easy to access buttons at the top of my screen for the websites I use on a day-to-day basis. But I can see myself adding websites to Diigo that I just need to remember about, or might need again in a week's time.

I'm not so sure about the highlighting and post-it notes facility - again, I can see why a researcher might find it useful, but to a web-user such as myself, I think it is a bit of a gimmick that I can't image myself using too much. As with all these technologies, the test will be time, and we shall see if I actively do start adding websites to Diigo, and maybe using some of the other facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment